Aug 11, 2009

Handmade by Heather - Reusable Sweeper Pads

Do you use a floor sweeper with disposable dusting and mopping pads? I have one, too. One day I realized how much waste it created. Not only was I throwing away the disposable pads, but I also had to take the time to run the containers to the recycle bin. When it comes to recycle, reuse and reduce, I would rather have an item I can reuse than one that needs to be recycled (a process that consumes energy, etc.)

I try my best to be green, but with our budget the way it is, my biggest “green” concern is the dollar bills I’m trying to hold on to. So one day as I was strolling through the yarn section at the local craft supply store (my second home) I happened upon a really cool solution to my sweeper problem. Knitted sweeper covers. Woo hoo! Why didn’t I think of that? I grabbed the pattern, took it home, and altered it for crochet.



What I like most about my crocheted sweeper pads is that the single stitch crochet pattern I use creates lots of bumps and grooves. This traps dirt and scrubs with much less effort than the disposable covers. I make these pads in sets of two, one for sweeping and the other for mopping. When you’re finished, just pull the pads off and pop them in the wash. These puppies are made to last. I live in a townhouse designed for four with a kitchen built for one. So I have to sweep and mop often, and I’ve been using the same pair of sweeper pads for more than three months.

I think you’ll love these as much as I do, so I’m gonna share the love.


What you can win:
One lucky reader will win a set of two floor duster covers in green.


Limitations:
This giveaway is open to U.S. addresses. You must be at least 18 years old with a valid e-mail address. You do not need to be a blogger to enter. If you do not have a blogger I.D., please enter your email address in each comment. If you do have a blogger I.D. with your email visible in your profile, you don’t have to waste your time entering your e-mail address in your comments.


Enter:
Offer a tip on how you reduce waste when cleaning your home. You MUST do this to be eligible to enter the contest.

Extra Entries: (You know you want ‘em)
1. If I sold these sweeper covers, what would you consider a good price?
2. What colors would you like to see available?
3. Subscribe to my e-mail newsletter. Enter “Subscriber.”
4. Follow via Google Friends. Enter “Following” & username.
5. Follow me on twitter (see sidebar.) Enter “Twitter” & username.
6. Grab my button. Enter “Button’s up” & link.

All entries will be verified prior to awarding the prize.
Contest ends at 11:59pm CST on Thursday, September 3rd. Winners are drawn using a Random Integer Generator and will be announced here and by e-mail. The winner will have 72 hours to respond to the e-mail notification. If the winner does not reply within the set time limit, a new winner will be chosen.