Aug 30, 2009
I founded The Mom Union for a few reasons. First, I believe in the concept of "ethical sweeping." Ethical sweeping is the practice of only entering for giveaway products you can actually use. Sure, the call of Ebay is strong, and you can make some money by selling items you win and don't need. For example, a woman who is no longer breast-feeding enters a contest to win a shirt designed for breast-feeding. The woman wins the contest for an item she doesn't need, sells it on Ebay and makes a little money. How much money? Well, it doesn't really matter because it's pure profit, right? Now, let's think about a woman who IS breast feeding and enters to win that shirt specially designed for breast-feeding. She doesn't win a product she could really use because the other lady, who doesn't need it, won. Personally, I enter loads of sweeps, and I win quite a bit. I would increase my "wins" if I were to enter giveaways for products I don't need, but I choose not to. Why? Because I don't need it. I can't use it. And, as far as Ebay goes, I'll never bank as much as the product is worth. I'd rather the winner be someone who will to have a product that suits her needs. By hosting giveaways for products suited for older children and their parents, I'd like to offer "win" opportunities for those groups in hopes of fostering ethical sweeping.
Second, I see a lot of innovative items for pregnant women, breast-feeding mothers, and mothers of small children. I think those products are great and the companies that sponsor the giveaways are very kind. There will always be babies, and there will always be companies that focus their products on the wee little ones. I'd like to fulfill the needs of teens, tweens and "seasoned" moms. My goal is to present products and introduce companies that appeal to our group such as stationary, clothing, jewelry, electronics, goodies and gadgets. There's tons of great stuff out there, and The Mom Union will be the place to find them. Suggestions are always welcome and certainly appreciated.
My daily blogs will focus on those drama-filled days of teenhood and the mothers who are suffering through it. Just a few short years ago I was the coolest person in the world, and now, according to my daughter, I'm soooooo embarrassing. Kisses on the cheek, forget it. Calling out "I love you!" when you drop off your child to school, don't. She'll "Just Die." Remember the phone? I see the cord running under my daughter's door, but for an actually sighting, I haven't seen the phone in a year. Does any of this sound familiar? Does your child talk in text speak, like "OMG!" and "BRB, mom!" Have you been told that "Things were different when you were a kid?" Then you should join up NOW! We can help each other through this trying time of parenthood known as the "teen years." We can do it together. It's going to be okay.
Join The Mom Union. You can sign up by placing my main button on your blog. Do please follow my blog and subscribe to my newsletter and feed. The greater our numbers, the greater the amount of items I can offer you. Grab the Early Enrollment Bonus button to receive extra entries for upcoming contests. The Early Enrollment Bonus button code is only available for a limited time, so get yours now!
Aug 29, 2009
These items expire midnight 8/30
Geared toward teens:
- Ponds Moist Towlettes 30 count pack http://www.ashoppersquest.com/2009/08/ponds-wet-cleansing-towelettes-review.html
- Famous Footwear $100 GC: http://islandlife808.com/giveaways/100-to-famous-footwear-giveaway/
- Famous Footwear $100 GC: http://www.barefootmommies.com/?p=4056
- Famous Footwear $100 GC: http://mommymandy.com/famous-footwear-giveaway
- Famous Footwear $100 GC: http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/08/23/does-mama-need-a-new-pair-of-shoes/
- Famous Footwear $100: http://www.extraordinarymommy.com/giveaways/giveaway-win-100-from-famous-footwear/
- Carolina Pad (Arv: $75) http://kidzborn2impress.blogspot.com/2009/08/carolina-pad-review-and-giveaway.html
- Rizzos Tees: http://www.eightymphmom.com/2009/08/rizzo-tees-review-and-giveaway.html
- UPrinting 250 cards (winner pays shipping. this would be good for teen note cards or grad announcements) http://katydidandkid.blogspot.com/2009/08/uprintingcom-greeting-cards-giveaway.html
- Gap Jeans 1 pair up to $70: http://www.mommyniri.com/2009/08/to-celebrate-gap-born-to-fit-jeans-win-a-gap-jeans/
- KoloBags Laptop bag: http://www.momecentric.com/2009/contest/the-kolobags-contest-do-not-miss-this-one
- GreenSmart Laptop Cover & Water bottle: http://www.momsfavoritestuff.com/index.php/2009/08/11/avoiding-toxins-laptop-cases-greensmart/
Other giveaways out there for moms. Non-maternity/breastfeeding (Don't get me wrong. I'm all for breast feeding, I just don't need that stuff now.
- Yoplait Whips: http://bigfacehundreds.blogspot.com/2009/08/yoplait-whips-review-giveaway.html
- Yoplait Whips: http://www.meadowwoodgarden.com/win-yoplait-whips-gift-bag/
- Fiber One Yogurt: http://www.redsoxmom.com/2009/08/fiber-one-50-calorie-yogurt-giveaway.html
- Pur Water Pitcher: http://sheilacakes.blogspot.com/2009/08/pur-flavor-options-review-and-giveaway.html
- Body Systems (body care) : http://www.feistyfrugalandfabulous.com/2009/08/body-systems.html
- Pilsburry back to school: http://www.lifeinahouseofblue.com/2009/08/back-to-school-with-pillsbury-toaster.html
- Simply Pillsbury: http://lisacooking.com/2009/08/16/pillsbury-simply-refrigerated-cookie-dough-review-and-giveaway/
- Glimpse Skincare: http://www.prissygreen.com/2009/08/glimpse-skincare-review-and-giveaway.html
- Seventh Generation Cleaning: http://www.whatmommiesneed.com/2009/08/review-and-giveaway-seventh-generation.html
I recently lost 40 lbs. I've still got a little to lose, but I can see big changes in my body. I guess my friends can see the changes too, because many of them have been asking how I did it. I'll share my secret with you. I've been eating nothing but fast food - anything I want off the menu. There are only 2 rules to this diet: you have to bring your kids with you and you can't bring any food home.
Here's a typical meal on my diet: First, place your order. "I'll take one chicken nugget Happy Meal with fries and an orange soda for Michael. The lady will have a hamburger meal with apple dippers and a chocolate milk. I'd like a double cheeseburger with fries and a coke, super-sized." Really, you can order anything you want!
Take your food and the kids to a table and wait for the dieting magic.
Pass out everyone's food. Open the chocolate milk. Oops, forgot Katie's straw. Go back to the drink station and get her one.
Sit back down. Bring that hot, tasty burger to your lips and ...
"I need ketchup for my fries." Check to see if Katie needs any ketchup while you're up. She doesn't. Return to the drink station and get Michael some ketchup.
Sit back down. Pick up your warm burger for that first bite of cheeseburgery goodness and ...
"Ahh, my milk! My milk!!!" Katie has spilled her milk. Head back to the drink station for some napkins to clean the mess. Wipe up the table, floor and child. Throw away the wet napkins.
Sit down, pick up your room temperature burger and ...
"I need more ketchup." "Already!" "Yes, Mooooom, I can't eat my fries without ketchup." *sigh* "Fine." Return to the drink station, your home away from home, for more ketchup.
Sit down, throw a rubbery fry in your mouth before anyone can say anything and ...
"This burger isn't plain. I wanted a plain burger. This one has stuff on it!! I can't eat it unless it's plain." She never said she wanted plain. Go up to the counter and get her a new burger. Plain.
Sit down. Pick up your freezing cold burger, bring it to your mouth and ...
"There's no ketchup on this burger." Are you freaking kidding me??? Stomp up to the drink counter and get her some ketchup.
Sit down, shove the burger in your face and take a bite. Pick up a fry and ...
"I need more orange soda." Curse under your breath, grab the stupid cup, return to the damn drink station and fill up Michael's drink. Return to the table. Check your watch. Oh, crap! It's time for school. Throw everything away and rush the kids out the door.
Total food consumed: Two fries and one bite of cheeseburger.
Total calories: about 30
Aug 11, 2009
I try my best to be green, but with our budget the way it is, my biggest “green” concern is the dollar bills I’m trying to hold on to. So one day as I was strolling through the yarn section at the local craft supply store (my second home) I happened upon a really cool solution to my sweeper problem. Knitted sweeper covers. Woo hoo! Why didn’t I think of that? I grabbed the pattern, took it home, and altered it for crochet.
What I like most about my crocheted sweeper pads is that the single stitch crochet pattern I use creates lots of bumps and grooves. This traps dirt and scrubs with much less effort than the disposable covers. I make these pads in sets of two, one for sweeping and the other for mopping. When you’re finished, just pull the pads off and pop them in the wash. These puppies are made to last. I live in a townhouse designed for four with a kitchen built for one. So I have to sweep and mop often, and I’ve been using the same pair of sweeper pads for more than three months.
I think you’ll love these as much as I do, so I’m gonna share the love.
What you can win:
One lucky reader will win a set of two floor duster covers in green.
This giveaway is open to U.S. addresses. You must be at least 18 years old with a valid e-mail address. You do not need to be a blogger to enter. If you do not have a blogger I.D., please enter your email address in each comment. If you do have a blogger I.D. with your email visible in your profile, you don’t have to waste your time entering your e-mail address in your comments.
Offer a tip on how you reduce waste when cleaning your home. You MUST do this to be eligible to enter the contest.
Extra Entries: (You know you want ‘em)
1. If I sold these sweeper covers, what would you consider a good price?
2. What colors would you like to see available?
3. Subscribe to my e-mail newsletter. Enter “Subscriber.”
4. Follow via Google Friends. Enter “Following” & username.
5. Follow me on twitter (see sidebar.) Enter “Twitter” & username.
6. Grab my button. Enter “Button’s up” & link.
All entries will be verified prior to awarding the prize.
Contest ends at 11:59pm CST on Thursday, September 3rd. Winners are drawn using a Random Integer Generator and will be announced here and by e-mail. The winner will have 72 hours to respond to the e-mail notification. If the winner does not reply within the set time limit, a new winner will be chosen.
Thomas Nelson Publisher
Reviewed by Heather Goldsmith
Faces in the Fire follows the lives of four characters on a journey of self-discovery. Kurt, Corrine, Grace and Stan are flawed human beings with dark pasts and less than bright futures. Through unseen forces, a catfish, and numbers scribbled on a napkin, their lives intersect and intertwine. As the story of their lives unfolds, each if faced with the choice to continue down the path of destruction or take the road to redemption.
Author T. L. Hines weaves an intricate and suspenseful story. At times, I did find his shifts between each character’s past and present to be frustratingly short and choppy. But despite this small fault in composition, the story is excellently written. Emotionally charged, Faces in the Fire is one of those books that grabs you and holds you to the end. I cringed at each character’s missteps and cheered their development. I thoroughly enjoyed Faces in the Fire and recommend it without reservation.
To find out more about Faces in the Fire, please visit the following links:
1. Faces in the Fire's Thomas Nelson product page:
2. Faces in the Fire book preview: See widget on left sidebar.
(I am a member of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger program. Besides receiving a free copy of the book to review, I have not been financially compensated in any way. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own. To learn more about Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger program, please visit the following link: http://brb.thomas nelson.com .)
Aug 6, 2009
By Dr. Preetham Grandhi
Sweetwater Books Publisher
Reviewed by: Heather Goldsmith
In a small, quiet town ten-year-old Janet Troy is abducted by a mysterious and disturbed man. When her backpack is found on a Senator’s property, FBI Agent Leia Bines is called in to quickly and quietly solve the crime before the Senator’s bid for the Presidency is jeopardized.
Naya is a young girl brought to an emergency room after a vivid sleepwalking episode leads her to the edge of a second story balcony. On call child psychiatrist, Dr. Gram, consults on her case. He admits her to an inpatient child psych ward for observation and her own safety. Through her dreams and drawings, Naya reaches out to Dr. Gram in an effort to still her sleep and save other potential victims of the mad man. Can these four strangers come together in time to solve the ever deepening mystery surrounding them?
In A Circle of Souls, Dr. Preetham Grandhi deftly weaves seemingly unrelated sub plots into an intricate story. Personally, this book grabbed me from the very first page and held me to the last. The suspense builds in this fiction thriller as the characters develop personal insight and involvement by necessity or professional dedication. Particularly appealing and of note is Dr. Preetham Grandhi’s integration of his cultural background and his professional experience as a child psychiatrist into this intelligent thriller. I’ve read all the greats, and A Circle of Souls holds its own. This is a definite must-read.
Oh look! A Giveaway!
What you can win:
One lucky reader will win a signed Advanced Readers Copy of A Circle of Souls.
This giveaway is open to U.S. addresses only. You must be at least 18 years old with a valid e-mail address. You do not need to be a blogger to enter. If you do not have a blogger I.D., please enter your email address in each comment. No anonymous entries allowed.
Answer this question: What is your favorite genre? You MUST do this to be eligible to enter the contest.
Extra Entries: (You know you want ‘em)
1. Subscribe to my e-mail newsletter. Enter “Subscriber.”
2. Follow via Google Friends. Enter “Following” & username.
3. Techno fave me. Enter “Techno” & username.
4. Follow me on twitter (see sidebar.) Enter “Twitter” & username.
5. Grab my button. Enter “Button” & site.
All entries will be verified prior to awarding the prize.
Contest ends at 11:59pm CST on August 28, 2009. Winners are drawn using a Random Integer Generator and will be announced here and by e-mail. The winner will have 72 hours to respond to the e-mail notification. If the winner does not reply within the set time limit, a new winner will be chosen.
Aug 3, 2009
2. You's think insomnia would have an upside, but it doesn't.
3. There are a lot of song about Monday or with Monday in the lyrics. So I know I'm not the only one.'
4. Mondays will be upgraded to "Cool Status" when school begins.
Thought on Mondays?
Aug 2, 2009
August 29, 2009
This is a personal blog operated by Heather G. Address questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regarding Reviews and Advertisements:
- This blog accepts compensation in forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions and product samples. Compensation may be the basis for topics or posts made in this blog and may not always be noted as compensated content.
- Regardless of compensation the operator of this blog will provide only honest opinions, experiences and/or conclusions on topics or products being reviewed. Opinions expressed on this blog are solely those of the reviewer or operator of this blog.
- Manufacturers’ product claims, statistics, quotes or other representations about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
- All rules and directions for entry into giveaway promotions will be specified in each contest post. Any Entrant who does not agree with these rules should not enter the giveaway.
- Only one entry per household is allowed and entrants must be over the age of eighteen (18) at the time of entry.
- All giveaway winners are drawn randomly. Winners are announced on The Mom Union and notified via email.
- The Mom Union reserves the right to change terms of contests offered here at any time without notice. Use of this website constitutes agreement to and acceptance of all such terms, conditions, rules and notices.
- This website is not responsible for providing awarded prizes and will not award cash value in case a prize becomes unavailable for any reason.
- If a prize is not received in a reasonable amount of time (usually 6 to 8 weeks,) please notify me at email@example.com and I will contact the sponsor for details.